Monday 10 December 2012

Colour combinations

After choosing a unique font to represent my magazine as a brand and feature in the masthead, I now need to choose a background colour for my cover which will feature strongly throughout the magazine and form the basis of my overall colour scheme. It needs to suit my genre, main image and follow the feedback from my questionnaire. I have already decided that the pink/red is unsuitable because it is too feminine for a multi-gender magazine, having connotations of romance and love. I am also not very keen on the green as a background colour because it doesn't look very appealing to the eye and is not something I frequently saw featured among the music magazines I have previously analysed. I feel the blue and purple backgrounds work much more successfully for my magazine as they are both more muted colours. They also both suit my genre a lot better and are multi-gender friendly. Out of the two, I feel the purple adds more warmth to the cover and blends better with the main image. Also, because it is quite a greyish purple, it would allow me to incorporate a brighter colour in the cover lines, reflecting the feedback from my questionnaire and hopefully attracting positive attention from my target audience. It is because of these reasons that I have chosen to use the purple for my background colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment