Thursday 3 January 2013

Contents page - feedback and changes

After asking four people to comment on version one of my contents page with their opinions on how I can improve it and what they like best, I now have a clearer idea of its current successes  as well as its weaknesses and how I can improve on them.

It seems the people who commented on my magazine agreed that its main successes are:
  • the colour scheme - 'follows on from your front cover perfectly'
  • the layout - 'clear to find everything'
  • the main image - 'main image is great and reflects your genre well'
The following suggestions were made in order to improve my front cover further:
  • complete text 
  • add more articles
  • fill image gaps 
  • potentially add subscription info or editor's note
I agree with these suggestions and knew already that I needed to complete the text with engaging article titles and info, as well as fill the image gaps with photos as successful as my main image. Seeing as I am aiming for a 70-100 page magazine I also know that many more articles will need to be added, meaning that not only will I have to decrease the font size, but I may be extremely tight for space if I were to add subscription info or an editor's note. Due to this and the fact that I am aiming to keep a clean, uncluttered layout, I have decided not to add either. I can justify this decision with the fact that only two of the magazine contents pages I studied had an editor's note/subscription info.

I am now going to continue with my contents page, making the above changes and continuing with the text. I will then upload a version two and ask my commenters for their opinions on my progress and if there is anything further they think I could improve on.

No comments:

Post a Comment