Friday 18 January 2013

Double page spread - colour choice

I have begun my double page spread by choosing a main image (which is in black & white) and creating a template for the article title. I now need to choose a colour combination for this title which will become the colour scheme for the rest of the page, affecting subheadings and general text. This colour scheme does not need to follow on from my cover or contents page, as I found not many magazines do this, but it still needs to represent my genre well and appeal to my target audience. Due to the fact that my chosen main image is black & white, I want to use a bright, vibrant colour to compliment this. Looking back at my original questionnaire asking my target audience their preferred colour scheme, 'grey, black, white and one bright colour' actually came out on top, so I can be assured this will appeal to my readers. I have also seen similar colour schemes appear in other current dance music magazines so I believe it suits my genre.

The images below show the three colours I chose to experiment with, and the different combinations I tried. I dismissed the pink quite quickly due to the fact I decided it was less multi-gender friendly and definitely has too many feminine connotations. I like the blue, but when comparing it to the yellow options I can see it is much less bold and contrasting. Looking at the two yellow options it is obvious to me which one looks the most successful - the bottom right. This is because the use of the yellow on the word 'meet' stands out much more than the white version, and black text on the yellow and white boxes is much more readable compared to yellow text on a white box. I will therefore be choosing this colour combination, as it is the most eye-catching and I feel it will help my double page spread reach its full potential.




No comments:

Post a Comment